Moon Man Volume 4!
The Complete Adventures of the Moon Man Volume 4 by Fredrick Davis
The pulp magazines’ weirdest hero!
As this is volume four of the adventures of the Moon Man, I have to point out that there are a few things that get old about these stories. McEwen’s rants in every story, Sue McEwen’s emotional pleas with Steve Thatcher, and Angel’s attempts to dissuade the Moon Man from action begin to harm rather than help the story.
By the time the first story in this volume was originally published, nineteen previously stories had already set forth the fact that McEwen was unrelenting, Sue was emotional, and Angel was loyal to a fault. There is no reason to continue to point this out every story. Because of this, all books forward will lose one star from me.
***Possible Spoilers Ahead***
And now, on to the stories!
- “Ghoul’s Gamble” “A man is kidnapped, the man’s brother is murdered, and the Moon Man is framed…
- “The Silver Snare” Detective Keanan puts together a case to prove the identity of the Moon Man—naming Detective Lieutenant Gil McEwen!
- “The Crimson Shrine” A crook threatens not only the Moon Man, but Detective Sergeant Steve Thatcher as well, and Sue threatens to out Steve as the Moon Man in an all-out effort to save him!
- “Satan’s Stepson” After an armored car robbery, there’s trouble in paradise when the gang’s lookout girl learns the Moon Man’s secret identity …
- “The Silver Spectre” Curtis Mead, president of the police board, is kidnapped and Detective Lieutenant Gil McEwen finds another clue to use on the Moon Man!
This volume was a gem, and totally worth five stars!
Quoth the Raven…